Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 24th, 2024, 2:20am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Metropolis Reality Forums « Top 10 movies of 2003 »

Hot Movie News and Reviews at Entertainment Spectrum!
www.EntertainmentSpectrum.com
   Metropolis Reality Forums
   Off-Topic Forums
   Movie Discussion
(Moderators: Heather, yesteach, Isle_be_back)
   Top 10 movies of 2003
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Top 10 movies of 2003  (Read 738 times)
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

Top 10 movies of 2003
« on: Dec 26th, 2003, 11:43am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Top 10 movies of 2003
By Alisha Davis
CNN Headline News
Thursday, December 25, 2003 Posted: 8:05 AM EST (1305 GMT)

(CNN) -- High Five is doing double duty this week. Here are my picks for the top 10 movies of the year.  

"American Splendor" -- It kicked off 2003 as the winner of the Grand Jury Prize at the Sundance Film Festival. "American Splendor" is an inventive biography of comic book writer Harvey Pekar that captures his quirks and creativity through its own inspired combination of animation, documentary and live action.  

"Bend It Like Beckham" -- This movie scores as the feel-good film of the year. Parminder Nagra is luminous, and Kiera Knightley launched her career as a Hollywood ingenue in this independent coming-of-age story about culture clashes, first love and girls who just want to have fun playing soccer.  

"Capturing the Friedmans" -- First-time feature director Andrew Jarecki combines beginner's luck and skill in this documentary about a family torn apart by child molestation charges. The Friedman family had shot hours and hours of home video footage of themselves as their real-life tragedy unfolded, and Jarecki expertly frames this look at a family disintegrating before our eyes.  

"City of God" -- This graphic foreign film takes a bruising look at life on the mean streets of Rio De Janeiro's slums and the lives of two boys who take very different roads to adulthood.  

"Cold Mountain" -- With eight Golden Globe nominations already in its holster, "Cold Mountain" is the story of a Confederate soldier (Jude Law) who abandons the battlefield on an odyssey back to his sweetheart (Nicole Kidman). Based on the bestseller by Charles Frazier, this epic romance is likely to battle for Oscar gold as well.  

"Finding Nemo" -- Pixar and Disney worked their animated magic again in this clever underwater adventure about a little clown fish that could.  

"In America" -- This enchanting film from director Jim Sheridan ("In the Name of the Father," "My Left Foot") about an Irish family immigrating to New York features some of the best performances of the year, including Samantha Morton, Djimon Hounsou, and Emma and Sarah Bolger.  

"Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" -- The final installment of the J.R.R. Tolkein trilogy secures its place in epic movie-making history as one of the cinema's greatest series. Director Peter Jackson bet the studio on his vision of Middle Earth and could emerge the king on Oscar night.  

"Lost in Translation" -- Director Sofia Coppola seems wise beyond her years in crafting this subtle story about strangers in a strange land, while newcomer Scarlett Johansson proves she can hold her own against a veteran Bill Murray, who's at the top of his game here.  

"Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World" -- Director Peter Weir adapts Patrick O'Brian series of books into a sophisticated piece of cinema about 19th-century men at war on the high seas, while Russell Crowe (as Captain Jack Aubrey) delivers yet another commanding and award-worthy performance.  

IP Logged
lakelady
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

Re: Top 10 movies of 2003
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26th, 2003, 1:07pm »

Looks like Rhune has been busy around here in my Christmas absence.    Wink

What is UP with this listHuh  Just goes to show you how critics think.  Haven't even heard of half of these flicks.  I'm surprised Mystic River did not make the list. I haven't seen it, but from what I'm told, it sounds like a critics dream.  Ho Hum is all I can say about this list.  

On another note, I'm just in from the lake and family Christmas. Stopped at the video store to see what I could find to amuse myself with over this long and lazy weekend ahead.  Not much I haven't seen.  Settled on Cube 2 (the first was awesome and I hope this one will be somewhat entertaining), Dreamcatcher and lastly, a piece of fluff, Charlies Angels Full Throttle.
« Last Edit: Dec 26th, 2003, 1:14pm by lakelady » IP Logged
luci
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Dec 26th, 2003, 2:40pm »

I'm with you Lake, we see a lot of moviess and didn't see half of these, much less even hear of the titles Roll Eyes

How is Dreamcatcher, just saw it on cable movies for tonight.  Is it worth our time Huh

We did see Mystic River and it does hold one's attention.  Dark, but good movie.  At least this is our opinion!

Anyway, I'm going to write down these titles and check out what I can find on cable first, then the video site.
IP Logged

"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and
can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words."
lakelady
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Dec 26th, 2003, 8:43pm »

Hi luci!  I'll let you know how Dreamcatcher is once I watch it. Am about to sit down and watch Cube 2 now.   As for Mystic River, I am sure I will watch it once it is on video. My problem is that Tim Robbins and Sean Penn are 2 of my least favorite people.  Think Jane Fonda.  Alas, at the moment I have had so much drama at family Christmas that I am still seeing red.  Be on the lookout for my essay soon to come.  hee hee.
IP Logged
luci
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Dec 26th, 2003, 10:17pm »

.........know what you mean about family matters Roll Eyes
IP Logged

lakelady
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Dec 27th, 2003, 7:58pm »

Well, luci, I am finally about to watch Dreamcatcher.  Cube 2 was fair.  Charlies Angels was watchable though really stupid and dorky.  I thought it was funny that Bruce Willis had a cameo.  And that Demi was the villian.  She rocked at being bad.     Angry
IP Logged
lakelady
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Dec 28th, 2003, 5:04am »

Re: Dreamcatcher

Whatever you do, DON'T watch it.  I still don't understand what happened.  This is the most ridiculous excuse for a movie that I have ever seen.  And that my beloved Morgan Freeman had anything to do with it makes me sick.  Here is the review that says it all:

Overall Grade: F  

Story: D-  

Acting: C-  

Direction: F  

Visuals: C  

If your into crap, this is your pie!  
by voodoo2k4 (movies profile) Jul 14, 2003  
4 of 7 people found this review helpful  

This movie is so bad every filmstrip, DVD, and VHS should be burnt to hell so we can all forget this miserable mess. This IS my worst favorite movie of all time. The movie is trying to be a supernatural thriller, or atleast thats what it seems with the trailer and poster. But it turns into a giant monster movie so fast you'd never notice. Morgan Freeman, what happened?? You should know a good script when you see one. And vice versa. The cast is good, the movie is bad. All talented and crack one liners that are the highlight of the movie. And the concept, people who fart and crap blood are infected with aliens. Now call me crazy, but this is just stupid. It surpasess the stupidity of Maximum Overdrive. God help us all. This is not worth the money to rent or see in theatres. NOT WORTH IT! I wouldnt spend a cent on a pop or some other product if it had the Dreamcatcher name on it. Thats how bad this movie is. HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY not recommended. Bottom of my list.

Grin
« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2003, 5:11am by lakelady » IP Logged
BlankWillWin
ForumsNet Member
USA 

The Psychotic Predictor

Elladan915@yahoo.com  
View Profile WWW Email

The American Film Institute' Top 10 films of 2003
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28th, 2003, 11:13am »

In alphabetical order:

American Splendor

Finding Nemo

The Human  Stain

In America

The Last Samurai

The Lord of The Rings; The  Return of The King

Lost in Translation

Master and Commander; The Far Side of The World

Monster

Mystic River

Eric.
IP Logged

The Artist formerly known as Tina, Ethan, Neleh, Helen, Deena, Tijuana, & AmberWillWin.
david

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 28th, 2003, 11:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Cube I found very confusing NO QUESTION were ever really answered and I had rent Hypercuber to get answers I was only more confused now I admit gore level was good but that was about it. I still dont know what "The Cube was or was about (either film) second looked like a story I read ih High School called "he Built A Crooked House" which was much better than either of these films................................................................... ........................................................................ .....................................................................BTW  how come Gigli didnt make the list? :laff: :laff: :laff: :laff:
« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2003, 11:53am by david » IP Logged
luci
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Dec 28th, 2003, 2:10pm »

Thanks for the warning, LL.  No, I'm not into bad movies either Roll Eyes

Ok, someone please tell me how and why do movies get on the Top Ten list when they came out less than a month ago?  It has to be all about the dollar!

Keep us updated on bad movies.  The absolute worst move we've ever seen has to be Mulholland Drive and Monster's Ball.  Both of them get a Grrr  Angry rating from both of us!
IP Logged

Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 28th, 2003, 3:06pm »

I didn't see enough new movies this year to really say a top 10 BEST, but here in no particular order are some movies I enjoyed this year and are worth watching at least once. Wink

LOTR - Two Towers Extended Edition (DVD)
LOTR - Return of the King
Finding Nemo
Holes
Pirates of the Carribean
Bend it like Beckham
The Italian Job
School of Rock
Bruce Almighty
IP Logged
lakelady
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Dec 28th, 2003, 4:11pm »

Thanks for your list Rhune!  I was about to rent Bruce Almighty the other day and put it back.  Will definitely watch it now.  Also will see Finding Nemo and School of Rock.  

Just returned from seeing Cold Mountain and will give my review soon as well as my list of faves from the year.  
IP Logged
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 28th, 2003, 7:49pm »

Bruce Almighty has one really good laugh out-loud till you almost pee your pants moment, and for that alone, it is worth renting and watching!
IP Logged
BlankWillWin
ForumsNet Member
USA 

The Psychotic Predictor

Elladan915@yahoo.com  
View Profile WWW Email

New York Times Top 10 movies of 2003
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29th, 2003, 10:46am »

www.nytimes.com/2003/12/28/movies/28MITC.html?pagewanted=print&posit ion=
December 28, 2003

By ELVIS MITCHELL

1.'PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN' The exuberantly entertaining action comedy came together because of wildly different talents: Johnny Depp's flair for comedy, the director Gore Verbinski's crack timing and the producer Jerry Bruckheimer's willingness to spend enough doubloons to launch the Spanish Armada.

2. '21 GRAMS' Alejandro González Iñárritu's second film about the devastation dropped by fate on three different people — this time acted with a vibrating delicacy by Benicio del Toro, Sean Penn and Naomi Watts — is, most important, a story about the necessity of intimacy and family.

3. 'THE TRIPLETS OF BELLEVILLE' As films move toward an inevitable international sameness, the last true expression of national individuality can be found in animation. This tart and involving French feature cartoon is one of a kind, and reflects the fluky, jazzy soul of its director, Sylvain Chômet, too.

4. 'ELEPHANT' Gus Van Sant's allusive and elusive tone poem, loosely based on the Columbine murders, is a breathtakingly crafted work — a teenage ant farm by Fassbinder — that refuses to moralize or provide easy, italicized answers.

5. 'CAPTURING THE FRIEDMANS' Andrew Jarecki's nimble nonfiction film looks at both sides of a child molestation investigation and its effect on a household, and becomes a piece about a much bigger subject. It examines not only the slippery nature of truth versus delusion, but the American obsession of detailing our own lives with a camera.

6. 'LOST IN TRANSLATION' This agile and detail-rich comic melodrama is about something not glimpsed in a feature in years: a filmmaker — Sofia Coppola — tumbling head over film stock for the talents of her star, Bill Murray, who plays a lonely actor in Tokyo. His infatuation with Scarlett Johansson, as the neglected young wife of a photographer, is deepened because we see it through his eyes.

7. 'RAISING VICTOR VARGAS' Peter Sollett's lovable first feature, set on the Lower East Side, is a hilarious and low-key look at, of all things, people fighting for turf, though mostly emotional. A teenager, Victor (Victor Rasuk), works hard to win the heart of the tough Judy (Judy Marte), who battles to keep him at bay. And we get to enjoy the film's victories.

8. 'AMERICAN SPLENDOR' From Cleveland comes the adaptation of Harvey Pekar's autobiographical comics, a picture that's all heart, brains and, yes, spleen. But the directors and screenwriters Shari Springer Berman and Robert Pulcini show how these organs function, as do Paul Giamatti and Hope Davis as the rumpled, combative and finally loving leads.

9. 'THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING' Peter Jackson comes through with an action epic that closes the trilogy with grace and honest sentiment rather than cheap sentimentality; his love and affinity for Tolkien's material meant that he was able to offer three movies with completely distinct tones.

10. 'THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY' Sergio Leone's massive and magnificently berserk epic western was not only restored to its full length — well, there are undoubtedly more scenes out there — but its delirious power was projected onto screens around the country so everyone could see Leone's influence on filmmakers from Kubrick to Spielberg. The most we can ask for — until the next version shows up.

www.nytimes.com/2003/12/28/movies/28SCOT.html?pagewanted=print&posit ion=
By A. O. SCOTT

1. 'MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD' I surprise myself with this choice, but Peter Weir's old-fashioned high-seas adventure surprised me with its energy and sweep. The battle sequences are appropriately rousing and bloody, but the film's greatest accomplishment is its recreation of the hierarchies and rituals of the British Navy during the Napoleonic wars. Russell Crowe plays Jack Aubrey with all the charisma of a 19th-century rock star, and Paul Bettany is terrific as his intellectual pal, Stephen Maturin. The best war movie in a year of war movies, and one of the best ever.

2. 'MYSTIC RIVER' Clint Eastwood has transformed Dennis Lehane's wintry New England thriller into a mighty modern tragedy, directed with elegant gravity and sustained by some of the best performances in recent American cinema. Sean Penn, as a father undone by the murder of his daughter, confirms that he is the best screen actor of his generation.

3. 'THE SON' Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne's wrenching study of paternal grief is a stripped-down complement to the grand opera of "Mystic River" and a rebuke to Hollywood's habit of equating revenge with redemption. Olivier Gourmet, playing a Belgian carpenter with a sore back and a battered soul, grounds this quiet allegory in the pedestrian rhythms of work and sorrow.

4. 'SPELLBOUND' Jeffrey Blitz's documentary about eight young contestants in the National Spelling Bee is suspenseful, moving, funny and thrilling. In exploring an odd American subculture, it also paints a remarkably detailed picture of modern life in all its glory and eccentricity.

5. 'THE BARBARIAN INVASIONS' Another view of modern life, both eccentric and glorious, from the Québécois director Denys Arcand, whose portrait of a dying Montreal intellectual becomes both an elegy for the dreams of the 60's generation and a biting critique of that generation's failures.

6. 'THE MAN WITHOUT A PAST' Aki Kaurismaki's tale of an amnesiac who finds love and happiness among the homeless of Helsinki is a wry humanist parable shot in clean, midnight-sun colors and accompanied by the best soundtrack of the year. It should do for Finnish rockabilly what "O Brother, Where Art Thou" did for bluegrass.

7. 'THE TRIPLETS OF BELLEVILLE' Dazzling visual nonsense from Sylvain Chômet, whose first feature is a riot of grotesque animation and perverse storytelling, transmitted from a bizarre planet where the laws of physics and the rules of narrative don't quite apply. A planet called France.

8. 'FINDING NEMO' Pixar's latest triumph cleverly preaches to the parents while treating their children to wild and colorful adventure. The film's watery world is animated with state-of-the-art technology, but like all great movies, its real achievements are its vivid characters and its meticulous storytelling.

9. 'BUS 174' This Brazilian documentary, directed by Felipe Lacerda and José Padilha, explores the hijacking of a Rio de Janeiro bus in 2000. Alternating between television coverage and interviews with police, survivors, social scientists and acquaintances of the hijacker, the filmmakers construct a devastating account of the poverty and violence that wrack urban Brazil, and also of the decency that survives in the face of such cruelty.

10. 'A MIGHTY WIND' Christopher Guest's latest fake documentary, which assembles a gaggle of fictitious folkies for a reunion concert, is the best movie about bad music since "Spinal Tap." Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara, playing the star-crossed sweethearts Mitch and Mickey, add a note of bittersweet romanticism to the general silliness.

www.nytimes.com/2003/12/28/movies/28HOLD.html?pagewanted=print&posit ion=
By STEPHEN HOLDEN

1. 'ANGELS IN AMERICA' So what if the movie of the year is a six-hour, two-part epic for HBO? Mike Nichols's small-screen version of Tony Kushner's incendiary AIDS phantasmagoria is sudsier and not as funny as the original stage production, but its integrity remains intact. Meryl Streep transcends herself as the ghost of Ethel Rosenberg, and Al Pacino's spitting and hissing portrayal of the dying Roy Cohn is so deep it inclines you toward sympathy for the devil. Jeffrey Wright and Mary Louise Parker are nothing less than great.

2. 'MYSTIC RIVER' Clint Eastwood's masterly screen version of a Dennis Lehane novel turns the blood feuds that erupt within a working-class Irish-American enclave of Boston into wrenching Greek tragedy. Sean Penn, awash in tears, and Tim Robbins as his benumbed childhood friend are unforgettable.

3. 'THE FOG OF WAR' Errol Morris's riveting documentary about the former Secretary of Defense Robert S. McNamara is all the more impressive for its utter simplicity. The movie has only one talking head (Mr. McNamara), accompanied by film clips from World War II and Vietnam. It addresses the most serious questions about war and the American character.

4. 'CAPTURING THE FRIEDMANS' Andrew Jarecki's documentary about the destruction of a Long Island family after charges of pedophilia is an agonizing portrait of a dysfunctional family and a disquieting look at the difficulty of determining guilt or innocence in a climate of panic and hysteria.

5. 'LOST IN TRANSLATION' Sofia Coppola emerges as a major filmmaker in this witty depiction of East-West culture shock in contemporary Tokyo. Out of their disorientation, Bill Murray, as a fading Hollywood star filming a Scotch commercial, and Scarlett Johansson, as a photographer's neglected young wife, forge a fragile, wistful connection.

6. 'HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG' Ben Kingsley's volcanic and finally heartbreaking portrayal of a proud Iranian immigrant fighting a real estate battle against a recovering alcoholic (Jennifer Connelly) matches the power of Sean Penn's turn in "Mystic River." Their personal war, which turns into mortal combat, is the sadder for having no heroes or villains.

7. 'THE BARBARIAN INVASIONS' The Canadian director Denys Arcand's sequel to his 1986 film "The Decline of the American Empire" reassembles the same politically engaged, sexually free-spirited academics around the death bed of an intellectual old goat. Their reminiscences are as rich and ruefully amused as the conversations in a Rohmer film, maybe more so.

8. 'AMERICAN SPLENDOR' The makers of this absorbing biography about the comic book writer and sad sack Harvey Pekar pull off a coup by casting the real Mr. Pekar and his wife Joyce to observe the actors (Paul Giamatti and Hope Davis) playing them. This juxtaposition parallels Mr. Pekar's scrupulously accurate and self-lacerating stories of his own experiences.

9. 'THIRTEEN' As 13-year-old girls running wild in Los Angeles, Evan Rachel Wood and Nikki Reed (on whose experiences the movie is based) suggest burgeoning, strip-mall Paris Hiltons. The vertiginous rhythms of Catherine Hardwicke's directorial debut echo the jangling hyperkineticism of puberty unbound. Portraying a mother who watches helplessly, Holly Hunter gives her finest performance in years

10. 'CITY OF GOD' The anecdotal history of gang warfare in the slums of Rio de Janeiro — seen through the eyes of a journalist who survived — has the verisimilitude of a powerful documentary. Its portrait of the deadly combustibility of pre-pubescent machismo and automatic weapons is scarily convincing.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Eric.

IP Logged

The Artist formerly known as Tina, Ethan, Neleh, Helen, Deena, Tijuana, & AmberWillWin.
MFC
ForumsNet Administrator

MFC Forums!

musicfanclubskid   musicfanclubskid
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 7th, 2004, 11:35pm »

Here's Vince Koehler's top 10 movies of 2003....
http://www.entertainmentspectrum.com/Reviews/Hot%20Movie%20News/Vince's_ Top_10_Movies_of_2003.html

Lots of good reviews on his site:
http://www.entertainmentspectrum.com/
IP Logged

http://www.MusicFanClubs.org
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.