Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 28th, 2024, 12:06am

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Time Warner Tries to Cash In »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Off-Topic Forums
   In the News
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Bumper, Isle_be_back)
   Time Warner Tries to Cash In
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Time Warner Tries to Cash In  (Read 536 times)
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

Time Warner Tries to Cash In
« on: Feb 1st, 2008, 10:02am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Cable Company Bills Tornado Victim $2,000 for Damaged Equipment

WHEATLAND, Wis. —  Having a tornado demolish her home was bad enough. But when Ann Beam received a $2,000 cable bill a few weeks later, she was floored. "I just couldn't believe it," Beam said. "I was like, 'What are they thinking?'"

Time Warner Cable billed a number of Wheatland residents for equipment destroyed in the Jan. 7 twister that struck the southeast corner of the state. Beam's bill covered five cable boxes and five remote controls.

She immediately called the cable company, but a man who identified himself as a manager said there was nothing the company could do.

"They said I would have to take the bill and turn it in to my insurance company," Beam said.

But her cable equipment was nine years old, and the insurance company would pay only a depreciated value that wouldn't cover her bill, she said.

Time Warner Cable spokeswoman Celeste Flynn said Beam's case was simply a misunderstanding. An unspecified number of customers were charged for unreturned equipment, but only because they canceled or transferred their service without mentioning their requests were tornado-related, she said.

"We understand this is an unusual situation," Flynn said. "All they will need to do is call and we will take the equipment off their account."

Time Warner Cable has tried to contact affected customers but privacy laws have impeded those efforts, she said.

Rare winter tornadoes that destroyed more than two dozen homes and damaged nearly 80 others in Kenosha County on Jan. 7. The damage was estimated at $18 million.

IP Logged
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile Email

Re: Time Warner Tries to Cash In
« Reply #1 on: Feb 1st, 2008, 10:03am »

They are trying to use a scumbaggy loophole to bill these people's private insurance companies for the loss of equipment...this is no going to end well for them.  The egg is already starting to hit their faces.
IP Logged
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 1st, 2008, 10:06am »

Perhaps they should counter-sue for sevices not rendered since the storm. Cheesy
IP Logged
Heather
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Yami+Setsu
View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 1st, 2008, 12:53pm »

Time Warner's always been annoying. You can never call them here at the local one. No one ever answers. So good luck with "All they will need to do is call and we will take the equipment off their account."  Undecided
IP Logged

http://www.tengaged.com/user/supergoten
^please click this link as often as you want, give me free money on tengaged Cheesy
LadyReality
ForumsNet Member
USA 

I work with hollywood.com

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Feb 6th, 2008, 4:22pm »

I heard about this on the news.  I didn't know they were tornado victims.  I just thought the woman lost her cable boxes.  I have Time Warner Cable.  They took over for Comcast recently in LA.  I miss Comcast because they were easier to deal with if you had a problem.  I just recently called the cable company to replace a box that kept cutting off by itself.
IP Logged
Isle_be_back
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Feb 6th, 2008, 10:06pm »

Quote:
I just recently called the cable company to replace a box that kept cutting off by itself.

I had that same problem.  It stopped cutting out after I paid the bill though.  Wink
IP Logged
LadyReality
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Feb 7th, 2008, 5:08pm »

lol.  My bill was paid.  I had one of those small boxes they give out when they are short on the regular size boxes.  Now I have no problem.  The small box I had didn't have a clock or any other settings on it, the remote wouldn't work all the time because you had to get close to the box to change the channel, and it was ugly Smiley.
IP Logged
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 7th, 2008, 6:36pm »

I'm actually in the minority here... We had Time Warner at the old place and I miss it. Sad  Now we have Comcast and I hate it.  We were 6 weeks after requesting service when we moved, before they called us back and said they were finally done entering our address in their computer, so we could schedule service if we wanted.  Angry  The remote for the DVR sucks, and the on demand stuff times out constantly.  I loved the DVR with Time Warner, and the 2 times I called them out for service the last 5 years, they were there same day.  Maybe it's a matter of the people running this branch...not sure, but I always got great service from them.
IP Logged
Isle_be_back
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Feb 8th, 2008, 12:29am »

Are you sure there were people running that branch and not those monkeys you see on those commercials?  I mean, really.  How can it take 6 weeks to enter an address unless all of the employees are running around like a bunch of animals xeroxing their butts on the copier?
IP Logged
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 8th, 2008, 2:31am »

Beats me!  You have a good point...
IP Logged
LadyReality
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Feb 8th, 2008, 3:44pm »

LOL ExIsle_be_back.  With some companies you would think that was the case.  Some people are just that slow or they lose information.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.